WRITING, COMMUNICATIONS, and MESSAGING PROFESSIONAL
Speeches and presentations
HIGHLIGHTS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Ghostwrote for executives who have served on federal task forces, outside boards of directors, and business sector coalitions. Represented business sector on public and private stakeholder groups.
- Created successful communications and marketing strategies for trade associations, nonprofits, and foundations. Oversaw national advocacy and awareness campaigns for nation’s largest business federation.
- Established the industry standard in magazine publishing for chambers of commerce.
- Appeared on or quoted in CNN, NPR, BBC, DW, RT, Voice of America, Sirius/XM Radio, Reuters, Washington Post, BizJournals, Associations Now, WJLA/Newschannel 8, InTheCapital and various local/online publications. Featured in the book Working in the Unoffice: A Guide to Coworking.
- Instructor at and graduate of U.S. Chamber’s Institute for Organization Management (IOM).
Percy Group Communications, Washington, DC, Self-employed Consultant 2009 – Present
- Led Pew Charitable Trusts successful policy campaigns including education, health care, and criminal justice. Drafted speeches, op-eds, legislative testimony, and talking points for public affairs executives in key states and at the federal level.
- Researched Pew’s first national report on business-led early childhood advocacy efforts to advance policy objectives. Lead strategist and co-author of DC Chamber of Commerce white paper on industry workforce strategies in the national capital region.
- Created media and program content for Potomac College’s inaugural cybersecurity undergrad program. Wrote press releases, social media strategy, marketing materials, and admissions criteria.
- Designed and delivered communications analysis and strategies for Children’s National Medical Center and Health for America, positioning their respective brands as leaders in community health care. Facilitated strategic planning sessions with internal stakeholders.
- Provided coaching to spokespeople representing American Cancer Society, William James Foundation, Women in Government, and various startups.
U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Washington, DC, Senior Manager 2006 – 2009
- Created communications and program strategies for several national education and workforce-related campaigns. Wrote speeches, reports, position statements, talking points, and social media content for executives and board, as well as for staff. Provided range of communications resources for members.
- Created all C-level and external communications and set strategic direction forWhen Work Works, a national research campaign promoting innovative workplace policies. Campaign garnered more than 1 million media impressions.
- Spokesperson, speaker, and panelist at national and regional education and workforce events and in briefings to membership and media. Representative on public/private taskforces and roundtables.
- Managed deadlines for issue reports. Researched, wrote ad copyedited content. Developed and managed multiple budgets for all grant programs, in excess of $200k. Authored successful multi-year, multi-million dollar grant proposal to Carnegie Corporate Foundation.
- Mentored junior staff on association management, industry relations, and communications.
American Chamber of Commerce Executives, Alexandria, VA, Manager, Communications 2002 – 2006
- Managing Editor of Chamber Executive, ACCE’s flagship magazine. Orchestrated successful redesign and rebranding bi-monthly with $100k budget, doubling revenues and growing the publication from less than 30 pages to 60+. Assembled editorial team, integrated research and data into more substantive topics.
- Led C-level communications efforts, including speechwriting and correspondence for CEO, Board, and membership. Scripted national convention with over 1,000 attendees. Lead writer in marketing of association’s meetings and product offerings.
- Designed materials for first executive leadership program on regional economic issues. Program subsequently continued at triple the size and scope.
- Initiated member engagement initiative through special interest divisions and peer councils. Integrated member-led divisions’ role in marketing, training, education, and product development and delivery. Facilitated roundtables, policy and issue analysis, and knowledge sharing.
- Monitored mediafor industry trends and members in the news. Compiled weekly report of media clips and reports for staff and membership. Spokesperson to media in print and radio.
Automotive Parts Remanufacturing Association and The Remanufacturing Institute, Fairfax, VA, Communications Specialist 2000 – 2001
- Designed communications and member outreach plans for established trade association, as well as establishment of sister association.
- Co-managed successful government relations effort to pass omnibus tax credit bill.
- Redesigned website and publications. Selected and managed outside vendors and partners.
- B.A., Millersville University of Pennsylvania, Millersville, PA.
- I.O.M., Institute for Organization Management, U.S. Chamber executive leadership program.
- Various online courses in science/technology, economics, social media, and communications.
SELECTED TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- Creating High-Level Strategy and More Engaging Content, Benevolent Media Festival 2012
- Public Speaking 101, Knowledge Commons DC
- Leveraging Video and Digital Content for Social Impact: NetSquared 2011
- America’s Education and Workforce System, US Chamber Institute, August 2008
- Education Reform as Economic Development, International Economic Development Council, June 2008
AFFILIATIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Co-organizer, PR Flacks, DC Chapter, a 900-member public relations society.
- Judge, various association communications awards programs.
- Tutor, Horton’s Kids, mentoring junior high school children in Ward 8, Southeast DC.
- Instructor, N Street Village, communications skills for women’s shelter in Logan Circle.
- Founder, Proof Through The Night, raised over $15,000 for DC-based charities after 9/11.
- Home recording artist, released full-length music CD to positive reviews in 2008.
- Freelance video producer for arts & nightlife websites, featured in Washington Post, Washington City Paper,InTheCapital.com, Pink Line Project, and others. Award-winner at Poptent.com, a digital content crowdsourcing platform for national brands.
- Social media: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google +, YouTube, Vimeo, SlideShare, Pinterest.
- Digital content: DSLR photography and video, shooting and editing.
- Design/Illustration/A-V: Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere).
- Market research: Google Adwords, Google Analytics, multiple SEO/site traffic tools.